Welcome to MSU Department of History!
History majors learn to think broadly, and they develop skills in critical analysis, research, and oral, written and digital communication. They grow as informed citizens. And they find the joy of making new discoveries and conquering great challenges. Knowledge and experience gained in History coursework enables our majors to excel in a wide variety of fields, such as education, law, government, international development, business, journalism, medicine, social work and much more. Make history! And do so with an eye toward the future. Become a major.
News & Updates
- Dr. Pero Dagbovie quoted in New York Times articleDr. Pero Dagbovie, University Distinguished Professor of History, Associate Provost for Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, and Dean of the Graduate School at Michigan State University, was recently quoted in the New York Times article: “The Home of Carter G. Woodson, the Man Behind Black History Month.” Dagbovie, the author of many books, including Carter G.… Continue Reading Home
- Associate Professor of History at MSU Dr. Ethan Segal delivers keynote address to Japan Studies AssociationBy: Patti McDonald Dr. Ethan Segal, an Associate Professor of history at Michigan State University, recently was the keynote speaker at the Japan Studies Association’s 30th annual conference in Honolulu, Hawaii. His presentation, “Can Samurai Teach Critical Thinking? Using Myth and History in the Classroom,” provided an overview of the role of samurai in Japanese… Continue Reading Home
- Associate Professor of History Dr. Ronen Steinberg named College of Social Science’s Diversity Champion for JanuaryBy: Emily Jodway Dr. Ronen Steinberg is an associate professor in the Department of History in the College of Social Science. Each day he educates and empowers his students to examine historical events through a social scientist’s perspective. One of the main courses he teaches is on the History and Theory of Genocide, a topic… Continue Reading Home
- History Graduate Student Bernard C. Moore wins the 2023-2024 College of Social Science Student Research Award By: Patti McDonald Michigan State University History graduate student Bernard C. Moore recently won the annual 2023-2024 Student Research Award from the College of Social Science. Included with the award is $500. Moore received this honor for his research in African economic and social history, which was published in article, “Swimming Upstream: From ‘Poor-Whites’ to… Continue Reading Home
- Associate Professor of History Dr. Delia Fernández-Jones’ book named a Choice Outstanding Academic Title for 2023The Department of History at Michigan State University would like to congratulate Associate Professor Dr. Delia Fernández-Jones. Her book, Making the MexiRican City: Migration, Placemaking, and Activism in Grand Rapids, Michigan, was named a Choice Outstanding Academic Title for 2023. This prestigious list reflects the best scholarly titles curated by editors working with Choice Reviews,… Continue Reading Home
- History Major Jay Coyne Earns Fall Academic All-Big Ten Honors By: Patti McDonald Jay Coyne, a linebacker for the Michigan State University football team and a history major, was among a distinguished group of 150 Michigan State Spartans who were recently acknowledged by the Big Ten Conference for being named to the esteemed Academic All-Big Ten Team for the fall. To qualify for the Academic… Continue Reading Home