Welcome to MSU Department of History!
History majors learn to think broadly, and they develop skills in critical analysis, research, and oral, written and digital communication. They grow as informed citizens. And they find the joy of making new discoveries and conquering great challenges. Knowledge and experience gained in History coursework enables our majors to excel in a wide variety of fields, such as education, law, government, international development, business, journalism, medicine, social work and much more. Make history! And do so with an eye toward the future. Become a major.
News & Updates
- Associate Professor of History Dr. Karrin Hanshew awarded research grant from the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst German Academic Exchange ServiceMichigan State University Associate Professor of History Dr. Karrin Hanshew was recently awarded a research grant from the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst/German Academic Exchange Service for fall 2023. In addition to spending time in German archives, Dr. Hanshew will be affiliated with the History Department at the Goethe University in Frankfurt, Germany and will also collaborate… Continue Reading Home
- Professor Emeritus Dr. Lewis Siegelbaum publishes book chapterMichigan State University Department of History Professor Emeritus Dr. Lewis Siegelbaum’s chapter: Sowjetunion und Russische Föderation, was recently published in Migration und Migrationspolitik in Europa 1945-2020, eds. Jakob Schönhagen and Ulrich Herbert (Gottingen: Wallstein Verlag, 2023). This chapter covers migration and migration policies in the Soviet Union and the Russian Federation from 1945 to up… Continue Reading Home
- History Department members help curate exhibit celebrating Beal Botanical GardenAs part of Michigan State University’s celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Beal Botanical Garden, three members of the History Department community helped to curate an exhibit at the Broad Art Museum. History alumnus Bill Hodgkins, Lab for Education and Advancement in Digital Research director Alice Lynn McMichael, and department chair Michael Stamm contributed… Continue Reading Home
- Associate Professor of History Dr. Delia Fernandez-Jones recently promoted, named Faculty of the YearAssociate Professor of History Dr. Delia Fernandez-Jones was recently promoted to a tenured faculty position within the History department. “I’ve worked really hard for this accomplishment,” Fernandez-Jones said. “It opens up opportunities that I really look forward to.” Fernandez-Jones is a historian of Latina/o history, and her research and teaching interests include the intersections of… Continue Reading Home
- Professor Dr. Naoko Wake mentioned in L.A. TimesAug. 6, 1945 marks the day that the United States dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, killing thousands of civilians instantly and devastating the lives of tens of thousands more. Three days later, the U.S. dropped a second bomb on Nagasaki. More than 200,000 people died from both events. According to Professor of History… Continue Reading Home