Welcome to MSU Department of History!
History majors learn to think broadly, and they develop skills in critical analysis, research, and oral, written and digital communication. They grow as informed citizens. And they find the joy of making new discoveries and conquering great challenges. Knowledge and experience gained in History coursework enables our majors to excel in a wide variety of fields, such as education, law, government, international development, business, journalism, medicine, social work and much more. Make history! And do so with an eye toward the future. Become a major.
News & Updates
- History Ph.D. candidate Marissa Knaak wins Bob McJimsey Graduate AwardThe Department of History would like to congratulate PH.D. candidate Marissa Knaak for recently winning the Bob McJimsey Graduate Award from the Western Conference on British Studies for her paper: “In the Shadows of Window Displays: Department Store Employees and Class Boundaries in Late Victorian Sheffield. Knaak presented her paper at the WCBS conference in… Continue Reading Home
- Associate Professor of History John Aerni-Flessner recently published dictionary and chapterJohn Aerni-Flessner, an Associate Professor in the Residential College of Arts and Humanities and the Department of History at Michigan State University, recently published a dictionary and a chapter. With two collaborators, Aerni-Flessner co-edited the Historical Dictionary of Lesotho, Third Edition, a reference book that explains historical figures, historical culture, and contemporary events, politics, and… Continue Reading Home
- Enter our 2023 Photo Contest!Do you have some cool photos you have taken and want to win a gift card? Enter our 2023 photo contest! The winner gets a $75 gift card, and the winning photo will be showcased on the cover of our annual department newsletter! Rules: Entries must be your original work and have a “history” theme,… Continue Reading Home
- History Ph.D. Student Spotlight: David MarchionniName: David Marchionni, Second year Ph.D. student, Asian Pacific American Studies Graduate Fellow for 2023-2024 Hometown: Ridgewood, NJ Undergrad: McGill University (2018), Graduate Degree: Fordham University (2020). MSU Research Area: U.S. History; Medical History; Asian Pacific American Studies Share your background and experience with us: If you were to poll my colleagues, you’d probably hear… Continue Reading Home
- Two History students were recently published in the University of Alabama’s Crimson Historical ReviewThe research of two Michigan State University History students was recently published in the University of Alabama’s Crimson Historical Review. Current senior Rebecca Yeomans-Stephenson and spring 2023 graduate Jacob Novak originally wrote their papers in their undergraduate history courses. Novak’s “China’s Feminist Movement: He-Yin Zhen’s Embodiment of Genuine Feminism” was written as a term paper… Continue Reading Home