The History Department encourages graduate students to interact with other graduate students and professionals by attending many various history conferences hosted in the US and around the globe. We show our support by giving out travel fellowships to students who have been selected to present their papers at said conferences. Please look at the following instructions on how to apply for funding and what is required. Any questions should be directed to Elyse Hansen firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are traveling to present at a conference you need to fill out a TRAVEL FUNDING REQUEST FORM, with this form you must include a budget, a short description of the conference and why you need to attend, and the email or letter from the conference organizers stating that you have been chosen to present.
- Your major professor (advisor) must sign off in BOTH places on the form. After YOU get these signatures bring the form to the Graduate Secretary and he/she will get the rest.
- When making up your budget it is up to you what to include, bare minimum would be airfare/mileage, and hotel, you also may include, parking, tolls, mileage to and from airport/Michigan Flyer/taxis, meals per diem (look up city and then the breakdown), conference fees, etc.
- If you receive funding it will be in the form of a fellowship, deposited into your student account, this can take up to 2 weeks from the date that the form is submitted (not the date you gave me your request). If you have any outstanding balance on this account (tuition, fees) the travel money will go to cover that first.
- If you are traveling internationally (yes, Canada counts) your form will be routed to International Studies who usually give $200-$400 for a trip. This WILL BE reimbursed so you will need to give a receipt that is equal or more than what ISP gave you (an airfare or hotel receipt usually works perfectly for this) to the Graduate Secretary once you RETURN from your trip.
- Before your paperwork is submitted for the funds to be deposited you NEED to completely fill out TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION (including the address of where you are staying). If you are on top of things you can turn this when you turn in the funding request.
- We give out our money on a first come first serve basis, the account that we have for travel needs to be spent by mid-March, so the sooner you can get your request in the better chance that you will get more.
- It is possible to get funding for multiple conferences, so just apply, more than likely you will receive a least a little bit to go towards your travel.
- The form is routed through the Department, the College, then the Graduate School*, all of these places are likely to give a little bit to help you fund your conference. You are encouraged to ask other departments on campus for travel money (GenCen, area studies centers, etc). *The Grad School will only give out $400 per student for travel, this is over your entire career at MSU, this is ONLY the Grad School, the College and Department don’t set a limit to how much we give for travel per student.
Even if you don’t get funding or don’t apply you need to fill out a Travel Authorization whenever you leave East Lansing for MSU related business (research!)!