This item provides information on these topics:
- Splash screen displays on first-run
- Add account (Tools)
- Accounts/Add an Account screen
- E-mail address
- Account information screen
- Entering your account information
- Authentication setting
- Open a new main window
- Adding additional accounts
- POP3 configuration
Outlook for the Mac is included with Microsoft Office 2011 for MacOS. This offers an additional alternative for e-mail clients as well as standard access to Microsoft Exchange servers.
Splash screen displays on first-run
The Outlook splash screen displays upon the initial start up of your Outlook software. Subsequent start ups normally display a Main (Inbox) window.
Add account (Tools)
Users can click on the “Add Account” button on the splash screen that displays upon the initial start up of their Outlook software.Otherwise, if there is not an existing (default) account:
- Click on Tools from the menu.
- Select Accounts
The “Add an Account” screen displays.
Accounts/Add an Account screen
The “Add an Account” screen displays if a default account does not already exist. Click on the E-mail Account icon.
The Accounts page displays listing the available accounts in the sidebar if one or more is already configured. Click the plus (+) sign on the bottom left of the Accounts screen to add an additional account after creating a default account. Select E-mail from the drop-down menu.
The E-mail address entry prompt displays. Enter your account information as prompted. When you click on or tab to the Password field, the Account information screen displays.
Account information screen
When you click on or tab to the Password field, the account information screen displays.
Entering your account information
Click to select the following for both the Incoming and Outgoing servers:
- Override default port
- Use SSL to connect
Confirm or enter the following information:
- E-mail address: your mail.msu.edu e-mail address
- Password: your MSU NetID password
- User name: your MSU NetID
- Type: IMAP
- Incoming server: mail.msu.edu : 993
- Outgoing server: mail.msu.edu : 465
Click on the Add Account button.
After testing the configuration, the Accounts screen displays.
Once you add an account, the Accounts screen displays.The final step is to properly set the account’s authentication:
- From the Accounts screen, make sure you have selected your MSU Mail account and click on the More Options button.
- Select User Name and Password from the Authentication drop-down.
- Enter your MSU NetID and password.
- Leave “Unqualified domain” blank
- Click OK.
Open a new main window
Close the Accounts screen and if a main window (Inbox) is not displayed:
- Click on File | New | Open New Main Window
Adding additional accounts
Note: Click the plus (+) sign on the bottom left of the Accounts screen to add an additional account after creating a default account.
Generally, the IMAP is the recommended mail protocol for client software. Users who prefer to use the POP3 mail protocol should note that the following settings differ from above:
- Type: POP
- Incoming server: mail.msu.edu : 995