This item provides information on these topics:
- Step 1: Create your Account (Part 1)
- Step 2: Create your Account (Part 2)
- Step 3: Create your Account (Part 3)
- Step 4: Create your Account (Part 4)
- Step 5: Entering Account Information
- Step 6a: Advanced Settings (Part 1)
- Step 6b: Advanced Settings (Part 2)
- To manually change the password for Outlook 2007
- Manufacturer Technical Support
This document will help you to configure your Outlook 2007 E-mail client to work with the mail.msu.edu E-mail system.
To use Outlook for accessing and using your MSU e-mail account you should take the following steps:
- Browse to http://officeupdate.microsoft.com
- Click on “Check for updates” before you configure your client to make sure you have the latest updates for your version of Outlook.
Step 1: Create your Account (Part 1)
- Open Outlook 2007.
- Select the “Tools” pulldown menu and select “Account Settings.”
Step 2: Create your Account (Part 2)
Select “New” under the E-mail tab.
Step 3: Create your Account (Part 3)
- Check “Manually configure server settings or additional server types”.
- Click “Next”.
Step 4: Create your Account (Part 4)
- Select “Internet Mail.”
- Click “Next.”
Step 5: Entering Account Information
Enter in the following information:
- Your Name: Your Name as you want it to be displayed in outgoing emails.
- E-mail Address: Your MSU E-mail Address
- Account Type: Make sure “IMAP” is selected.
- Incoming mail Server: mail.msu.edu
- Outgoing mail Server (SMTP): mail.msu.edu
- User Name: Your MSU NetID
- Password: Your MSU E-mail Password
Leave the “Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” unchecked.
Click on More Settings.
Step 6a: Advanced Settings (Part 1)
- Click on the “Outgoing Server” tab.
- Select (check) “My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.”
- Select “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”.
- Click the “Advanced” tab.
Step 6b: Advanced Settings (Part 2)
- For both Incoming & Outgoing Servers, select “SSL” from the drop down box that says “Use the following type of encrypted connection.”
- Set the “Incoming server” to 993 and the “Outgoing server (SMTP)” to 465
- Click “OK” and then click through as needed.
To manually change the password for Outlook 2007
- Click Tools, Account Settings and be sure highlight the mail.msu.edu account and select Change.
- Under Password, enter your new password in, then click Next.
- Finally click Finish