Adding a Printer to your PC
Mapping History Department Printers – PC
STEP 1: Add and Configure New Printer
- Under Start Menu, Click on ‘Devices and Printers’
- Start –> Control Panel –> ‘Devices and Printers’ if not directly on menu
- Click on ‘Add a printer ‘
- Click on ‘The printer that I want isn’t listed‘
- Select ‘Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname‘
- In the hostname or IP address type: ‘18.104.22.168‘
- Leave the port name alone
- If an authentication prompt appears, enter your History server username (first-initial.lastname for example j.doe) and password and click OK. (Click ‘Remember my Password’ to automatically log on)
- Then it will ask you if it can install a driver. Click ‘Install Driver.’
- Then it will ask you a question about sharing the printer, please select ‘DO NOT SHARE THIS PRINTER ‘
- Final question ‘Set as the default printer’, this option is up to you and can be easily changed later
STEP 2: Test the Printer Connection (Optional)
- On the final window after installation, there is an option then to ‘Print a Test Page’, if you are in Old Hort and wish to prove setup is working please click this.
- Then you can go down and retrieve your test page (will be a sheet saying ‘Windows Printer test page’ with lots of gibberish about driver info).
- Assuming you get this, all is well and you can now select that printer inside applications to send print jobs.
Troubleshooting/verifying connection: If a test print is unsuccessful. Go to ‘Devices and Printers’ Printer Properties. Inside those properties you should be able to find the ‘Print Test Page’ and further basic diagnostic messages like ‘Printer Offline’, ‘Printer Unavailable’, ‘Out-Of-Paper’ or other messages that are useful to report if submitting an issue to IT support.