Week 7 SOPA/PIPA/ANONYMOUS

SOPA is an acronym for House of representatives bill called Stop Online Piracy Act and PIPA, House of the Senate bill which stands for Protect Intellectual Property Act. Both are lobbyist bill acts that aim to shut down blogs and web sites from pirating music and movies. Anonymous Act would ban all anonymous internet postings; they are a hacktavist group which claims responsibility for these and other SOPA blackouts. The technology and political circumstances that have intersected giving these issues prominence is over flooding number of websites that offers free music and movies without the permission of the artists who created it. These websites are very prominent because people can watch all the latest movies without spending $9.00 minimum at a movie theatre for a particular movie and likewise is true for music; without having to spend $15.00 on a CD. If the above motioned bills pass, they would give the government broad powers to take down websites, seize domains and compel search engines from indexing these properties. Little more than a request from copyright holders is necessary. It’s essentially guilty-until-proven-innocent legislation that would punish the many for the sins of the few (Wilcox) and further would diminish the free flow of information and likewise diminish internet as we know it today. The White House does not support this legislation and released the following statement: “While we believe that online piracy by foreign websites is a serious problem that requires a serious legislative response, we will not support legislation that reduces freedom of expression, increases cybersecurity risk, or undermines the dynamic, innovative global Internet.”

2 thoughts on “Week 7 SOPA/PIPA/ANONYMOUS

1. phelanro

Fist of all, I like your summary of what the bills are. A lot of websites I found with information about the bills were kind of confusing and went into a lot of detail, but your summary gave just the right amount of information to describe the purposes. I also like how you compared the consequences of the acts and connected it to all the music and movie downloads that people do. Although I knew that by downloading, it was stealing and illegal, I never made the connection from the action to how SOPA, PIPA, and Anonymous would put a stop to it. I also like how you described the legislation as a “guilty-until-proven-innocent” legislation. I agree with that statement though. In my post, I mentioned how they would shut down the whole site even though only be a few people actually in violation. This part of the legislation should be looked at again to see if it could be better focused on the violators instead of the websites.

2. holteric

The fact that you were able to find a quote from the White House in regards to this matter and their response, in a sense, sides with the American public is brilliant! It is ridiculous to me how many issues have arisen from this topic. I understand that piracy is wrong and that people are losing money from it, but it is not a national epidemic. Piracy happens by a few people and punishing everyone for the mistake or intentions of a few people is ludicrous. In addition to that, like the blogger from I support SOPA stated, unless some serious boycotts/demonstrations are used, SOPA will return again (even if vetoed) in another way, shape, or form. To me, that is the scary part. People have so much money and time that they can essentially recreate a no matter and get someone to say yes, even if the idea or theology behind it is the same. At this point, it is not the pirates they need to go after.