Week 7: SOPA/PIPA

SOPA, or the “Stop Online Piracy Act” refers to websites ending in ‘.com’ and ‘.org’, so some examples include facebook.com or tumblr.com, two very prominent leading websites for most anyone to vocalize themselves. Although this deals with what’s called a domestic site, it can deal with foreign sites, too. Protect IP is a little different than SOPA in it’s authoritative powers. For example, SOPA deals with U.S. sites and “copyright infringement,” whereas Protect IP deals with copyright counterfeit; it deals with the activities of the site.. Although these things seem interchangeable, we can think of each of these terms as having very fine lines and very fragile boarders. In the article “I Hope SOPA Passes,” the author makes a very blunt and interesting idea; “it doesn’t address any problems, only the symptom.” Although the author means this in the context referring to people who think that doing slight things will make a huge impact, I think that, in a way, it can also refer to piracy as a whole. Online piracy is a serious issue, and one SOPA/PIPA came along, any felt threatened and concerned that their “voices” on the internet would be taken away. This was something taken for granted, until threaten to be taken away. Once it was threaten, people jumped at the chance to help the cause. The “symptoms” were that people simply did not think about their “voice” on the internet or piracy until it became and issue. Anonymous is another great figure in internet protection. Fighting for their rights to a voice, they use their power to actually do something about SOPA and Protect IP. They deal largely with the political circumstances of the campaign, dealing almost directly with legislators and the public. I think some ramifications of movements such as these and threats such as SOPA are that people may get anxious about what they post on the internet and if it will be censored. We have our voices, and we want to keep them. But how can we do so without stifling creativity and pure enjoyment of the internet?

5 thoughts on “Week 7: SOPA/PIPA

1. muzzeyme

You make a great point by restating the author’s opinion from “I hope SOPA passes” in that it only addresses the symptoms. Bills like SOPA and PIPA were introduced in order to stop piracy but instead they are taking away the possibility to raise an opinion and give comments on issues. An interesting thought that came to me was that a lot of the movie and music industry supports these bills. This also means that people cannot rate songs of movies that let other people know how it was. Sites like IMDb and rotten tomatoes would not allow you to make comments anymore and people heavily rely on other people’s opinion. Also with bills like SOPA and PIPA. When companies such as Google, and Wikipedia threatened a blackout many people on Facebook started talking about how bad these bills were and I asked myself how many of those people actually know what they are protesting. In order to fight the symptoms we need to know what exactly the cause is and have to come up with a good solution.

2. vetterk1

You gave a very good description differentiating the two similar acts, SOPA and PIPA, attempting to suppress piracy. I also think the point you made and muzzeyme expanded on about people suddenly voicing strong opinions against these act was a very strong point. Many people did not worry about the content they posted or acquired on the Internet before these acts were presented. In addition, many people did not know exactly what these acts would mandate and how it would affect them and their daily use of the Internet. Many just assumed they would not be able to search for pirated materials using search engines like Google. I also thought muzzeyme’s made a good point about the contradiction of industries such as the movie industry supporting these bills when parts of their revenue depends on sites such as IMDb. Under acts like SOPA and PIPA, sites such as IMDb would be most likely shut down.

3. currie30

This issue that you address is one of the most important part of this whole act that is trying to be pass. The problem is that many people did not know about these acts that were trying to be passed until Wiki and Google made it aware to people. The problem with society is that we are too busy just going off what we hear instead of doing research of our owen.
    Hiring people to watch the things that you do on the website to make sure that you are not commenting such as piracy is a little overboard. You are taking away from society to be able to express themselves. You are talking away the ability to say how they feel about movies, songs, and many other things.
    If this law passes it will be people continually watching what you are doing. This is invasion of piracy. While trying to watch hacks, and people doing things they should not be doing on the internet.

4. Logan Mancini

Upon their initial creation, I believe that SOPA and Protect IP started as an honest and meaningful solution. Stopping piracy completely is impossible. Taking a harsh and strict stance, in an attempt to reduce piracy, is quite possibly the only way to attack the situation.
    Now that lobbyists and congress is so deeply involved in the issue, I think that the main goals that it set to complete have been skewed off target. I to believe that SOPA and Protect IP will unfortunately hinder some aspects of free speech on the internet. On a whole though, your thoughts or comments are not going to be blocked. The issue is that because the definitions in the bills are extremely vague. All internet sites will have to hire legal counsel to ensure that they are not breaking these potential new laws. This will stifle the creation of new websites and thusly, reduce free speech because your typical blog cannot operate with such high expenses.

5. farberh1

I think your response is very well written, but that you could of discussed more of what SOPA and PIPA are and what they do. You list some good ideas that differentiate the two acts, but do not discuss a lot about what they each do in particular. When you talk about how both of these acts are sometimes used interchangeably, it makes your argument very strong and gives the reader a bigger sense of what each of these acts do. In addition, your comment on the author in “I Hope SOPA Passes” was very interesting. People are not and have not been worried about what they post on the Internet and have not been afraid that what they are posting will be censored. However, people may in fact become to afraid to voice their opinions on the internet if they think that these bills might be passed and that whatever they post may be censored.