Week 7, SOPA and PROTECT IP

I really feel that this huge push to stop piracy originally came from the private sector. Huge Hollywood companies lose millions every year on their movies and music. We have to face it: Money talks. Lobbyists from large companies have gotten their points across and are getting their way. Unfortunately, censorship has come into the spotlight out of all this anti-piracy mess. PROTECT IP and SOPA further complicate the matter with their legal actions. Like what most research says, this legislation will not accomplish much against pirating. What will come out of this is the abuse of legal action against ANY website in America. For simply having a link that a guest may have posted on your page, the Attorney General will summon you to immediately remove the link. If the offense happens again, your site can be seized. I understand where the government is coming from here, they want to protect the rights of those who rightfully own something, but PROTECT IP and SOPA are not going to quite make this a reality. All foreign sites still can have all the pirated information they want, it will just be inaccessible from the U.S. More concrete definitions of foreign and domestic sites is needed and regulations for the abuse of the laws are needed. Without further modification to the current bills in congress, I think the internet stands a lot to lose. And it is not just the internet, it is the people, the entire United States that will suffer. This will obstruct the production of new websites and business because serious legal counsel will be needed for anyone that operates a website because the Attorney General has the right to seize or censor their site at any time. I do not see this solving anything against piracy in the world today.

3 thoughts on “Week 7, SOPA and PROTECT IP

1. patelke6

I agree that this push to get these laws passed came from Hollywood and their lobbyist at Washington. The Motion Picture Association of America, which represents all the major studios in Hollywood, said that politicians who do not support SOPA and PIPA would get campaign contributions cut off from MPAA. Thus the push did come from Hollywood and these companies’ trying to force Washington into adopting policies that benefit them. Also the point that legislation would not accomplish much against pirating is correct too. Take the case of pirate bay. The U.S. government shut down PirateBay because it was sharing copyrighted material. However the website stayed shut down for only 3 days, and on the third day the website was and fully operational again. Thus time the owners of PirateBay moved the servers to Sweden, which means the U.S. government, couldn’t shut them down anymore. I believe that enforcing these useless laws will cost American taxpayers more money. The Government will need to hire people to monitor websites that infringe on copyrights and thus government spending will increase even more. I believe these laws will do no good and they are not good for the economy.

2. caudill9

While I agree that perhaps these Acts are not quite what is needed right now, but would you argue that there should not be any control over what people do on the internet? Do you truly believe that the access we all have to copyrighted material is a good thing? Do you believe everything ought to be accessible without any true consequences?

There probably ought to be something done about this issue, as the status quo is certainly not ideal for the entertainment industry. I would never be one to argue that they are hurting for money. I would. however, argue that it is their property to do with what they please, not everyone’s. The fact that they have no control over the illegal distribution is a true problem they are facing.

The argument that they make enough money through other sources is not a valid one. The fact that they are or are not making money is not, in my opinion, the one that should be contested. Whether or not they have the sole ownership rights of things they produce is.

3. sklutjoh

I agree with you as well, there is not much the US government can do about international piracy. Very little indeed. The fact still remains, people will have access to pirated video, audio and visual property of others, not to mention written word, however think about the people that piracy can help. The artist who cannot make it in a regular recording industry. That artist just wants people to listen to his music. He wants exposure. He can only become a top rated artist if the public sees his work as necessary to listen to. Artists these days do lose money from piracy, however I would venture to say that most of the younger pop stars have pirated from someone else in their life time and have understood that album sales are not the bulk of their money. Concerts, cameo’s, sponsorships, those are what bring in real money.