Week 6- Copywriting

After watching the documentary Good Copy Bad Copy, a new light has been shed on the logistics of copywriting. The documentary interviewed people in the music and film industry around the world. With the sophistication of the computer, the age that humans are starting to interact with computers is starting at such a younger age. When I was around 5 years old, my parents got the first computer for our house. It took up the entire desktop. It is becoming more and more accessible for music and file sharing to happen with the association of computer and Internet capabilities starting at such a young age. I think that fact has made it easier for copywriting to happen and may allow intellectual property to become obsolete. I believe that Girl Talk agrees with the idea of allowing file sharing via the Internet. If the people are more interested in having information at the tips of their fingers, why not let them? One of my favorite parts of the documentary is with a representative from Creative Commons, Lawrence Lessig. When explaining his work he says, “I write books for a living…I know that when my books are assigned at a college, kids take my words and do all sorts of junk with them…it should be free for people to use and reuse as they want.” I believe that the producers of the documentary try to be unbiased in the creation of the film but subliminally point to the fact that they agree with the statement by Lawrence Lessig as well.

One thought on “Week 6- Copywriting

1. zdziars2

I think you brought up an important and interesting point with your reference to what Lawrence Lessig said about the way information in written works such as books is used by college students. I think in a perfect and honest world it would be possible to drop copyrights on music, art and films and treat them like books which can be easily cited and referenced if any portion of them is used in another piece of writing. Unfortunately, as logical as that seems the music and film industry substantially revolve around money rather than wanting to share their creativity with others. They see sharing ideas with others as sharing the wealth and royalties that will come out of those ideas and they are not willing to do that. I think creative commons is a good solution for artists who would like to put their work out there to protect it from plagiarism while still being able to encourage others to extend it in new ways. These types of artists are the true artists who only want their art spread and don’t really care about the money it brings and there is a very scarce amount of those around. So until the world begins to see music and film as a work of art and not as a business opportunity we are stuck with copyrights that prevent anyone from trying to cheat the system to make a profit on someone’s creativity.