Computer Interaction/Alone Togther

I do not find Licklider’s article too farfetched from the technological reality in which we live today. Technology around us is advancing at a lightning speed, and I do not doubt that it would take long before this type of communication is implemented and prominent in all aspects of communication. With respect to cost of this type of communication in the business world, Licklider argues how the cost of $16/per hour compares to the cost one will save in travel time for out of state business meeting. “If one flies from Boston to Washington in the morning and back in the evening, he can have eight working hours in the capital city in return for about $64 in air and taxi fares plus the spending of four of his early morning and evening hours en route.” I agree with his reasoning, companies will save money as well as time by utilizing this type of computer communication; instead of sending their personnel to other cities to do the same; it cuts down on costs and increases efficiency. I also agree that with this type of computer interaction, people will spend a lot more time in computer facilitated conferences and a lot less time en route to meetings, people will be able to connect from the comfort of their own home etc. I am leery in Licklider’s posture when he asserts that unemployment will disappear in the world forever. I don’t predict this to be true. The more computer efficient that this communication becomes, the more jobs will become replaced. Specifically when he mentions that OLIVER system; will be able to take care of minor matters that do not require personal attention or demand by the subject. I am also leery of the privacy concerns of the network. Computer and file hacking is a big issue today, if sharing data will be as easy as linking consoles to a network, I’m concerned that privacy of files on the network will become non-existent.
Sherry Turkle would say that this only feeds into human informal interaction, isolation and contributes to difficulties in real life social interaction. Turkle would suggest that technology helps us work from anywhere, but people end up being lonely everywhere because of it. What Turckle argues is that humanity is nearing a robotic moment. People filter companionship through machines. The next stage we are nearing is to accept that machines can also be companions. Turckle points out that robots, soon enough will be employed in caring roles of our everyday lives and real-life interactions will become onerous. I agree with Turkle as to her posture, this robotic shift, is altering what it means to be a human.

3 thoughts on “Computer Interaction/Alone Togther

1. currie30

While reading your post I agree with a lot of things that you are saying. I will have to say when it comes to Licklider’s he was way before his time on the digital/ internet world. He was just guessing what he though might happen (remember many people thought we would be flying machine cars by now). Some things were a little crazy but his concept was a little correct.
    I totally agree with Sherry Turkle this generation today rely on their cell phones and internet to get them through the day. We are replacing everything with technology. This is a serious problem because we do not know how to communicate without abbreviating words or holding a telephone conversation. Will this generation of college students know how to hold an interview without using this new language today. While listening to her pod cast it was sad to hear how younger children wish their parents will just spend time with them but, they are too consumed with their phones, and internet. I do believe the problem people do not know how to express their true feeling so they are hiding them by finding things to do on the internet and watching television.

2. vetterk1

I agree that although some of Licklider’s predictions were a little far fetched, he was mostly correct. In this modern world, people have the ability to communicate with the people they work with from just about anywhere. For example, sometimes my dad works from home, because he can do everything he does there at home, including communicating with people in his own office. In addition, he uses many forms of computer communication to work with people from other countries, such as India, China, and France. This form of an online class is another perfect example of how computer communication has become a norm.

Sherry Turkle would say that we are missing out on the personal communication access if we completely rely on computer communication. As you said, she argues that we are “nearing a robotic movement”. This robotic movement is making it possible to be lonely while we are constantly communicating.

3. barans11

I agree with what you had to say about Licklider’s predictions and Turkle’s interpretations of them. By becoming more dependent on computers to communicate we are just isolating ourselves and cutting down on face to face interaction time. It’s amazing that we can now communicate with people around the world but it stops people from being able to connect with business partners from around the world after the meeting. Eventually, are we going to not have to leave our rooms because we can take care of everything from our computers and handheld devices? I hope robots don’t start taking over caring roles in our lives. They have toy pets that simulate having a real dog and having a real dog is a lot more fun. I imagine having to substitute people with robots would be similar and its not something I look forward too. I feel like it’d be a lonely existence to have a robot friend in place of a human one.