Blog Entry#4 Learning from War gaming/ Simulation and History

Everybody enjoys the sound of boom, bang, and actions based sounds emitting from War based games. The gun sounds or soldiers running around in trying to complete their mission are heroic and all, but what does War games teaches today’s society. This article helps answer that question. Based on several gamer’s opinions, gamers say war game are not a waste of time instead they actually do a good job in viewing today’s battlefield and today’s world. A gamer also mentioned these military games can teach us a little bit more than just reading from history books. The author uses opinions from present gamers as a thesis in help answering what type of things can be learned from war gaming and why not from other games such as sports related, or board games. Matthew Kirshenbaum, the author, main argument was does video game actually teaches us any importance and if so what are they and why war gaming compared to other genre of gaming?

The author did a good job of providing examples of political importance in war gaming. Matthew Kirshenbaum, the author, mentioned how politician or military members produce some of the best leaders in today’s society. Leaders are a necessity and core reason why our world is exhibiting success.  Kirshenbaum explained how certain missions in war games such as, “What happens when Yemen River dries out,” actually conforms or relates towards leadership shown in the political or military world. The author examines carefully before mentioning that war gaming was not presented for learning or repetition of history, instead teaching and helping individual learn the art of making quick and decisive decision making skills.

His comments or reviews did relate to so many others opinions. Many people found a liking to Matthew Kirshenbaum’s answer. Based on my experience, I agree in what Matthew is trying to clarify in his explanation. Yes I do agree that war gaming tries to examine and view the battlefield scenery or scenarios, however, not all of this is quite accurate. War gaming might teach us more about military ranks, and weapon selection although any explanation doesn’t go into depth. Everything is much more general. I entirely agree with the author’s commentary how war gaming doesn’t teach us an exact history lesson instead more about making those quick and decisive decisions. I don’t even play war games often; however, I haven’t yet to experience any history lessons from playing the game. Everything in game is quite general and I prefer to let the learning experience stay in a classroom or power points.

As time moves thousands of changes occurs as well. A change reveals a certain living group are adapting to their surroundings. Basically what I am saying refers to our survival. I mean we cannot understand advancements if history didn’t take place. People have done so for hundreds of years and historical facts seem to be recorded or learned in numerous ways. The article in which I’m analyzing explains how history is often found through advanced technological tools. However, the big question leads towards whether people actually grasp a better understanding or is it everything offered a total misinterpretation. In this article, Trevor Owens, the author discusses how simulation or tools can often bring their strong points however also a set of weaknesses too. A key weakness which Mr. Owens argues constantly about is whether our simulations can actually accurately teach today’s society in a correct manner where they understand. Mr. Owens repetitively argues simulations and these present day tools might capture people’s eyes although it’s also consuming us from understanding the correct information.

Mr. Owens refers how computer’s and websites become an easy source for any information. Books and people are great methods in obtaining information; however, people nowadays don’t want to conform to the social methods to gain that knowledge. Everything is easily obtained through internet usage- plus this is a generation where we want things to be as simple as it gets. Often simple doesn’t get where we want, and provides only general comprehension. The author claims everybody wants an easy way out. I think it was pretty unique when he used social media is a constant way to grasp our info, and how important it’s for our society to obtain something quick and easy. Simulations and these new advancements done so much for us but it’s isolating us from other useful methods. Simulation based games often portray impossible and incorrect representation of today’s society.

His reviews were pretty good. Every reply seemed to reflect on an agreeable vibe. I personally don’t play simulations based games or tools that much, however, at times I feel they could lead in the wrong direction. The information portrayed in games often not accurate. The Sim’s game does high numbers of false information and sometime misleads gamers into wrong comprehension.

4 thoughts on “Blog Entry#4 Learning from War gaming/ Simulation and History

1. watki155

Reflecting on your assessment of both articles, it is amazing to find that I am in complete agreement with your statements. One of the most important aspects about game simulation is quickly taken away and is presented in a false manner; furthermore, the game itself takes history and twists it into more of a ‘cover-up’ of what really occurred in reality. This itself made it hard for people to understand the importance of game simulation—it confuses those who are ignorant of the historical events, and questions those who may already come in with that knowledge about it. I personally agree, also, about the importance of politics in war gaming—the topic of war itself is solely recognized from the action of politics and the decisions of political figures. I particularly agreed with the statement that the games were geared for the player to develop a mindset that matches the description of a political—on your feet, quick, and accurate decision-making. This itself helps the player to understand the role of one who is in politics.

2. Logan Mancini

I think it is important to note that nearly all video games created today are created to accomplish a couple base goals: 1) To sell and make profit 2) Be fun.

I understand that SimCity may not be very accurate in the Detroit scenario, but that’s not the point of the game. It was created by Will Wright to be a source of amusement, not to re-create a scenario to educate oneself by playing the game.

Now, when it comes to wargaming, some of these games are actually produced to educate young leaders. The genre of wargaming is large. They can be geared for pure entertainment, with their BOGSAT (Bunch Of Guy Sitting Around a Table) characteristics, or they can even be impressive and in-depth teaching aids at war-colleges used by world military’s.
    When is the last time you sat down to play a video game and said, “I want to learn a little something about real life today from this game?” Probably never. I know I have never said something like that. Games need to be accurate and not misleading, but we all need to realize; they’re just video games. Most are completely inaccurate and offer little to be taken with you after the television is turned off.

3. sklutjoh

Good counter argument, Logan. I agree with your statement about Wright’s creation. SimCity was not a tool, it was built to be a game. However, if there were specific changes someone could make to it, that could withhold the amount of specific characteristics in the Detroit Riots, it becomes a tool. I think it is still important in both cases, or tool and game, to remember that regardless of how you use it, they were meant to be teaching apparatuses. From both of the ways you can use this game, you can learn from it. Like all games, as you play you get better, and learn to succeed, as you use a tool more often you become more skilled using it. Thus learning (if we weren’t familiar already). So who is to say that we cannot recreate the situations happening in our midst, as well as the past, to see if with isolated variables, human life and the economy will be better studied.

4. millengr

I agree with Owens. People now go to the internet to obtain information about things. Another problem with this is that everything you find on the internet isn’t accurate. A lot of websites don’t display accurate information. I even discovered when doing assignments for this class that. I would visit different websites on certain topics and find conflicting information. The internet is probably the first place people go for information but I think there needs to be more accuracy.

As far as video games teaching a history lesson I would have to disagree. Video games main purpose is entertainment. In the past I have learned how to play certain sports by playing video games. I don’t watch hockey and I have never played it but I learned the rules of hockey by playing hockey video games. Sports games now also have commentating and they state facts throughout games. Due to this I have gained minimal sports knowledge through video games. It is possible to learn a little while playing video games but overall they’re for entertainment.