Post 3: The Future of Video Games (5/31)

In the past, not too long ago, video games in comparison to today’s “inventions” seemed almost bleak. To modern-day gamers, older systems and games may seem simple and almost boring, whereas to the gamers of said time, the best and brightest technology was at their fingertips. Findings in gaming such as “Hyperspace,” a controversial tactic in which you could disappear from the game and reappear in a different location in a matter of seconds, was the pinnacle of gaming technology. However, as time moved on, new findings were introduced to the game world. As glitches were smoothed through and gaming became more and more seamless, technology too hold on the industry and introduced new consoles and games. As video games moved to PC form as well as other forms, the ideas and options became more limitless. With this is mind, I believe that with the technology we now hold, as well as the findings we obtain each day, we will soon be able to become more immersed in our games. We already have the technology to simulate our motions and actions, and soon, I believe that the gaming industry will find ways to fully submerse the gamer into the game. Not only will the actual games be able to be live-action, but the actual consoles will probably be absolutely tiny. We are coming to an age in which all of our devices are strangely small, and gaming consoles will be no different. Aside from this, I believe that in the more immediate future, more games will emerge in various fields and topics. There are games out there for everyone; from games about cooking to running your own zoo. The arrary in options will only continue to grow.

7 thoughts on “Post 3: The Future of Video Games (5/31)

1. lazicsmi

I agree with your posture on the future of video games. I remember when the first Sega came out and how horrible the graphics were compared to the graphics today. I also predict that the video game industry will find ways to submerse the gamer into the game where the gamers’ own image will be reflected on the television screen instead of a generic icon. You bring up a great point of the future of the topics of various fields in the video game industry, it is bound to happen. I would be very interested in the cooking type of game, since I’m not a great cook. I’m sure the video games in such fields will be a benefit to many people and teach them everyday skills, in some ways it will probably replace the cooking lessons people pay for everyday, and additionally I’m sure topics of various dances like salsa and tango will emerge as well and it will be very beneficial to those who are too redescent as novices to go out and take classes. It will allow them to learn from the comfort of their own home. Your post has sparked new ideas in my head. Thanks.

2. caudill9

I am sure that this is something that could happen, but do you believe that it will completely replace the current atmosphere of games? One of the largest draws for me is the fact that I can be someone else. Video games for me is not a replacement of life, rather a different world that I can escape to. I feel that is a more common approach towards gaming itself. People create sprites, they don’t want to be the sprite. How terrifying would it be (in an RTS) if your character was a depiction of yourself? This sort of thing would also make fantasy games rather impractical. This sort of technology is probably attainable (in the future), but it’s applications aren’t industry wide, at least in my opinion. Look at the motion detecting technology that has been developed recently. Some people don’t enjoy that (myself included). When I play games, I prefer the more traditional controller. The Wii remote also was not a winner in my book, and I believe the Wii probably would have failed if it was not for Nintendo’s control over Mario and his crew.

3. champa31

What a novel idea that the gamer would be submersed into the game in the way that you describe. Though, in many ways, a first person point of view already deceives the player into thinking he is actually the individual shooting at Covenant and Flood, or blowing up the Death Star in his own X-Wing, and virtual reality games are not something of the future as they have already been done. You are certainly right that the gaming consoles, and all of our computing technology is growing smaller at the minute. I believe the technology in the computing systems is what the future holds for the world of gaming more than the graphics of the gaming. The market of gaming is expanding, and as your mentioned “there are games out there for everyone.” This is becoming more and more evident as you see people of all ages playing games on their iPhones and such. It is no longer a world left to the computer savvy and young teens on oversized desktop computers.

As I mentioned in my blog post, there will be a time in the near future that the grandparents of the teen generation can say that “they grew up with video games”. And instead of them telling the teen generation of this era what they did for fun, they will be talking about the games they use to play for fun.

4. Robert Purdy

I mentioned a lot of the same ideas in my blog post on the future of video games. However, a few ones that I left out you did a great job of pointing out. I think mentioning how much smaller the video game devices will get is a tremendous point. Much like the PC and any other major piece of entertainment technology, we have seen the size decrease dramatically and have things such as flat screen monitors now. Video games are no different. Even now, comparing the size of certain devices to things three or four years ago allows you to really see how far it has come. Another topic you focus on is the vast array of game types that will become available. If you browse the local shelves you will indeed find games for all ages and interests. You mentioned cooking which I don’t necessarily agree with, but your point is well taken into the areas they can expand. The possibilities continue to grow and it wouldn’t surprise me the least bit to see even more in the future.

5. staalrya

I liked how you described the submersion a gamer would have in the future of video games. I do see something similar to what you’re describing happening in our near futures. The technology does exist, and it will be very easy to transfer this kind of style of play into the hands of hardcore gamers. My only worry with your description, is will the market be large enough to support that kind of play-style?
    In my post, I explained that the future of video games depends solely on the users’ preferences and tastes. If the user finds the technology too cumbersome, they will not play the game because it’s too much ‘work’ to sit down and get the game going. Believe me, I would LOVE something like what you described, because I’m a nerd and wouldn’t hesitate at the chance to try something like that. But for casual gamers (a fairly large portion of the market) this may not be their idea of ‘gaming’. Either way, I enjoyed reading your post and thought you brought a new perspective on the future of video games.

6. heggins2

I wrote about the submerging of people into game systems as well. One point that I made in my posting was that there can be many dangers with this idea. There are already people addicted to video games etc. its scary to think what will happen in the advancement of video games. I also like the point that you made about the variety of people that are targeted for video games. There’s so many varieties. Soon people will just be living in a video game with technology growing so vastly. I think this is all something important to think about.

7. heggins2

I wrote about the submerging of people into game systems as well. One point that I made in my posting was that there can be many dangers with this idea. There are already people addicted to video games etc. its scary to think what will happen in the advancement of video games. I also like the point that you made about the variety of people that are targeted for video games. There are so many varieties. Soon people will just be living in a video game with technology growing so vastly. I think this is all something important to think about. The brain is so complex so I imagine people just in different zone’s and in their own worlds thinking that they are just in a video game. This can be detrimental to the health of many people. Inventors should always keep the thought of people really being damaged and hurt in mind.