Applying to the Graduate Program
A student seeking admission for graduate work in history must:
(1) submit an on-line application through the Graduate School. For the application, the department’s Doctoral code is 7611, and the code for the Master’s is 7609. Please contact the department if you cannot apply on-line. Please either submit payment on-line via a credit card or print out the application and send it with a check or money order to cover the application fee, directly to: Department of History Old Horticulture 506 E. Circle Drive Room 256 Michigan State University East Lansing, MI 48824
(2) request that the registrar of each college or university attended send one copy of your official transcript directly to the Department of History; transcripts of work taken at Michigan State University need not be requested. Transcripts uploaded through the portal by the applicant are not considered official.
(3) Graduate Record Examination scores on the General Test will be sent directly to Admission when provided with the School Code: 1465 (Michigan St University) Dept Code: 2701 (American History); 2702 (European History); 2703 (History of Science); 2799 (History-Other).
(4) Submit the following online via the application portal. PLEASE NOTE: Once you either save or complete your application you will receive an email asking you to sign in to our application portal, there you will get directions on how to upload recommendation letters and the additional application materials. Uploading them online is the preferred method, but if you have problems uploading the documents you may send them to the History Department ATTN: Admissions:
- At least three letters of recommendation from history professors with whom the applicant has taken courses. The preferred way to submit letters of recommendation is through the application portal. If you have extenuating circumstances that do not allow you to submit online, please download the following form and mail them to the address provided above. (download recommendation form).
- One or more term papers that the applicant considers a fair representation of ability in research and writing.
- If you did not fill out the Personal and Academic Statements on the application, please submit your Personal and Academic Statements (500-1000 words each) online through the application portal, indicating your goals in pursuing a doctoral degree. These are two separate documents, please DO NOT combine them into one.
The application with payment along with all admission paperwork must be received by December 1 for consideration for the following Fall semester, we only admit students for the Fall semesters.
If you are and international applicant please submit two copies of official transcripts with certified translation (if necessary) and two copies of your diploma(s) with translation (if necessary). If applying from China please follow this link for more information on transcripts http://grad.msu.edu/apply/international.aspx. For more information about international admission requirements please read through the following PDF. international applicants further information