Applying to the Graduate Program
A student seeking admission for graduate work in history must:
(1) submit an on-line application through the Graduate School. For the application, the department’s Doctoral code is 7611.
Please contact the department if you cannot apply on-line. Please either submit payment on-line via a credit card or print out the application and send it with a check or money order to cover the application fee, directly to:
Department of History
506 E. Circle Drive Room 256
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
(2) request that the registrar of each college or university attended send two copies of your transcript directly to the Department of History; transcripts of work taken at Michigan State University need not be requested.
(3) submit the following directly to the Graduate Director, Department of History,
Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1036, no later than December 1 for admission the following Fall semester:
Record Examination scores on the General Test.
School Code: 1465 (Michigan St University)
Dept Code: 2701 (American History); 2702 (European History); 2703 (History of Science); 2799 (History-Other)
- at least three letters of recommendation from history professors with whom the applicant has taken
courses (download recommendation form).
- one or more term papers that the applicant considers a fair representation of ability in research and writing.
- if you did not fill out the Personal and Academic Statements on the application, please submit your Personal and Academic Statements to the Graduate Director (500-1000 words) indicating your goals in pursuing a doctoral degree.